Summer is right around the corner and summer in florida gets H-O-T!!! So it is important to have go to snacks that are delicious, nutritious, and refreshing! Grapes are one of my favorite sweet treats that help cool us down during the scorching months. I like to have a bowl of clean grapes in the fridge awaiting our consumption at all times. I especially love frozen grapes which are a great alternative to cold treats such as ice cream and popsicles. And grapes don’t have to simply be eaten on their own, they are great in salads, mixed into hot meals such as rice or couscous, or even stewed into sauces over heartier dishes.
We know that grapes taste good, but did you also know how good they are for you? Here is a list of some of the wonderful health benefits of grapes!
- Grapes are rich in polyphenol which decreases risk of heart disease by protecting LDL from free radical change, reducing platelet aggregation, improving blood vessel functioning, and lowering over-all blood pressure.
- Grapes contain Lutein and Zeaxanthin which aid in maintaining the health and integrity of our eyes as we age, reducing the risk for macular degeneration.
- Grapes are a diuretic which helps with improved digestion and alleviates issues of indigestion and helps flush toxins from the body.
- Grapes are loaded with anti-oxidants such as Resveratrol (especially in red grape skin) which have anti-aging elements. Resveratrol is also linked to decreasing carbohydrate cravings and aiding the liver in breaking down stored fat.
- Grapes have micronutrients such as manganese, copper, and iron which help aid in the body maintain strong, healthy bones.
What are your feelings on grapes? Any good recipes to share? I’d love to hear from you!