The statement “If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading” has been a catalyst for many changes in my own personal life. The saying reflects the reality that every action leads us to a reaction or result. Whether or not we had any true intention to end up at that particular destination, if we do not take active control, we will indeed end up there.
My husband often makes the remark that “indecision is decision” and while at first this drove me a bit crazy to hear (as it often is said when figuring out dinner plans), there is so much truth to the statement. If we are passive in our decision making it is as if we let someone else take the wheel and steer us in whatever direction they choose. We sit passively in the passenger seat of our own life complaining about the direction we are headed. We must wake up and see that we are only acting as a bystander in our own lives and that it is time to take the wheel and start making changes.
So how does one go about making changes in their lives? Here are 5 simple tips to help you start the process:
1. Be intentional. Do things on purpose and with purpose.
2. Identify your goals – both big and small.
3. Create action plans which identify the steps you need to take to reach your goals.
4. Set time out each day to reflect on your goals and your progress.
5. Trust in the process. Don’t rush the results or give up because you have setbacks.
I would love to hear comments from you in regards to your own journey? What are some obstacles you have overcome? What stumbling blocks have you faced? Any tips or suggestions for others? Your stories are powerful and I’d love to hear from you.